Disability Direct-Nottingham
The Disability-syndicate

  • A
  • A

read more..


Please take 5 minutes to give us some input. we will keep any contact details you give..
read more..

Subscribe for Updates

*  Your Email Address:

*  Preferred Format:

First Name:

Last Name:

Postal/Zip Code:

*  Enter the security code shown:

Spring 2012

 Spring... read more..

Summer 2011

Summer... read more..

Advertising Space


Contact us                  

Charlotte Throssel
5 -6 Church Square,
Maxwell Close,

Telephone | 01159 583 948



In this section we have put together some useful information regarding the different benefits that disabled people and carers may be entitled to.


Carer’s Allowance


Carer’s Allowance is £61.35 a week to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs.

You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them.

Carer’s Allowance is taxable. It can also affect your other benefits.


Effect on other benefits

If you get Universal Credit, it might affect how much you get from other benefits.

Any means-tested benefits you get will be reduced by the same amount you get from Carer’s Allowance. This includes:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit

An extra amount (called the ‘carer premium’) will be included in the calculation of your means-tested benefits.

You might also be eligible for a Council Tax Reduction.

Effect on tax credits

Your Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit could be reduced if you get Carer’s Allowance. Contact the Tax Credits office for more information.

Effects on the benefits of the person you care for

Carer’s Allowance can affect the benefits of the person you care for, if they get a severe disability premium with any of these benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Their severe disability premium will stop if you get Carer’s Allowance for looking after them. It can also affect their Council Tax reduction. Contact your local council to find out if this affects them.

Underlying entitlement

You can’t normally get 2 income-replacement benefits (e.g. Carer’s Allowance and the State Pension) paid together.



You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

You’re 16 or over

You spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

Have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years

You’re not in full time education or studying for more than 21 hours a week

You earn less than £102 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension)

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - the middle or highest care rate

Attendance Allowance

Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)




Home | About | Membership | Do What You Want | Resources | Contact Us | Privacy Policy Copyright©2010DisabilityDirect
Ltd Company Reg. No : 3891119 : Disability Direct, The Enterprise Centre, 20 Royal Scot Rd, Pride Park, Derby. DE24 8AJ : Registered Charity No. 1079831 : Part of the Disability Syndicate Designed by Alkawebs